Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Brain killing or intellectual enhancer?


Usually I watch TV quite a lot. How many times haven't I heard from some people around me that they "haven't been watching TV for ages", sometimes indirectly saying that they have better and more important things to do. Sure, sometimes I watch brainless and useless series for entertainment. E.g. I like to watch Lost and Buffy and neither are for brainsurgeons even it they of course, like many other series, have morals. On the other hand this doesn't mean that I don't also watch very good, critical and educational programs. Lately I haven't watched much TV at all, mostly sitting here and writing on my thesis. So, should I know with my almost nonexcisting TV watching be considered less time wasting and "stupid"?

I feel quite the opposite! The only times I have felt as detached to the world and what happens in it is when I have been abroad without possibility to get news...and NOW it is because I am not watching TV! I hardly learn anything new, don't get new perspectives of things. Missing one single program can mean missing knowing anything how things are and work in a country or within a area of society. No, for me TV means information and new perspectives. It has only to do what you choses to do with what you've got.

No comments: