Thursday, November 08, 2007

Frustrating conversation ;-)

* Bla bla bla...


- Bla bla bla 5 %.


* Sorry, what do you mean? 5 % of what? I don't understand.

- 5!

* Of what?

- 5 %!


* OF WHAT?!

(and so on...)

- 5 % are xxxx.

* Ahaaaaa...Why didn't you just say so?

- I did.

* No you didn't, you answered my question about "what is 5 %" with "5 %", I got the 5 % thing but not WHAT it is that is 5 %. NOW I understand though, when you said what it was you meant.

- I thought that was clear, I thought you understood.

* Obviously not, I wouldn't have asked "5 % of what?" if I had.

---------------------------


Isn't it "fun" when you get into conversations where someone doesn't hear something or doesn't understand the sentence and when the other person is trying to explain, he or she totally misses to repeat the main point of that specific part of the conversation? Instead he/she repeats the detail that is hanging free from the rest of the discussion and is clear as a day but without a real meaning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Human communication is one of the most delicate subjects in everyday life. Do I have to mention that this is causing SEVERE problems at offices and also in private relations?

Natasja said...

No, you don't have to mention it ;-) Communication is said to be one of human's specialities but still we often suck at it...and yes, that most certainly goes for both private and professional life. At my last job, that was a thing that annoyed me a lót sometimes, the lack of communication concerning things that really is easy to pass on but that people just don't, for no apparent reason. Eg. the group of about 10 people finding out one late Friday afternoon that a new person was going to start working right among us the following Monday (she wasn't even a substitute). It was the computer guy who happened to tell us when someone asked why he was installing another computer.