Saturday, October 21, 2006

I have nothing to hide!

It's the same thing every time! After a few days I'm fed up with writing the exam and they always last for about a week, and I need the time. There are many good reasons for me not becoming a journalist, as I've said since I was little, and one of them is clearly the writing part haha...short deadlines are not my thing, nor long. I think writing is fun as long I have the complete power over the subject.

It feels like I should contribute with something more wise and informative than that. My father still hasn't made any comments, he just said once that he was reading it that very moment. Then I continued one of my many discussions with the other 50% of me, my mother.

Have you ever seen Minority Report? It's a futuristic sci-fi movie with Tom Wierdo Cruise. It is a society where every single person is sumitted to extrem surveillance everywhere they go and it's just part of how it is. When a person enters a mall, there is a voice welcoming you with your name and offering things. The iris is read off etc. When you see it you just see this sci-fi movie that is as real as Star Trek! After the movie you just think "good it wasn't real, just a movie", it's just another unrealistic actionmovie with cool effects, but if you think for just a minute you realise that it actually isn't that far away from todays society at all! Consider the amount of camaras that is just increasing all the time (with London being the extreme case), the efforts/discussions to make the passports impossible to forge (DNA, eyes, biometrics, fingerprints etc.), people putting small transmitters under their kids skin in case they would be kidnapped so they could trace them with a machine (they had a program about it on TV for some time ago, from England I think). The resemblance is striking...

Sure, there might might be many good things about it, no doubt, but personally I don't trust the ones having access to the huge amount of information. Not because I am one of those wierdos who believe in conspiracies, I'm just trying not being naive, I've been that enough times this last year and it sucks. I just read the morning paper, there are plenty of information about illegal use of information. Remember the scandal(s?) about the registration of political affiliation of Swedes? The human being is a very resourcefull being, information is and can be used in ways one can't (won't?) imagine! By the way. It is proven that having more lights and better city planning is much more effective in preventing crimes, including rapes! What make me as a female feel safe or unsafe while walking around outside when it's dark has nothing to do with the camaras. I walked around the citycenter in Bratislava (capital of Slovakia) and NEVER felt afraid once, not even in the dark streets where my appartment was situated, even knowing that there are many homeless people in the same area, comparing to walking the 5 min walk from the busstop to my appartment here in Sweden or any street at night in a city, and hardly even then.

Oo...I googled Minority Report and Wikipedia writes quite a lot about the movie, I didn't know that. So, there is plenty to read if you feel like. It. I can add that I liked the movie when I saw it. Obviously I am not the only one... "It earned four
Saturn Awards, including Best Science Fiction Film and Best Direction. It also earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Sound Editing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_Report_(film)

I especially recommend you to read the short passage called "Threat of dystopian government".

When it comes down to it, it has only to do what basic outlook one have of individual rights and freedom! Which one is yours?

Back to the boring writing again...and turn up the music! System of a Down should be able to keep me awake...and more important, focused!

No comments: