Friday, November 10, 2006

Breaking news - UK

Since I got a feeling that most of you never care to actually read any of the articles etc that I link to, I will quote from an article in the Guardian that turned up on my screen.

"...excessive surveillance could create a "climate of suspicion."

"Current techniques include surveillance of international travel, consumer spending, internet use and mobile phones."

"It says surveillance can lead to the loss of individuals' anonymity and privacy in different spheres of their lives."

"In the future, shoppers may be scanned as they enter stores, schools could bring in cards allowing parents to monitor what their children eat and jobs may be refused to applicants who are seen as a health risk." (Remember what I wrote about Minority Report?)

""Today I fear that we are in fact waking up to a surveillance society that is already all around us.""

"Mr Thomas said surveillance could help fight terrorism and crime and improve access to public services. But he added: "As ever more information is collected, shared and used it intrudes into our private space and leads to decisions which directly influence people's lives.""


The short article can be read here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6187445,00.html I just don't see the connection between the word "freedom" (which some constantly keep on refering to) and "surveillance"...and I who thought that freedom for many meant that THEY get to chose over their own lives, that they don't like when someone/something decide for them! Right?

No comments: