Thursday, November 06, 2008

Intrinsic value of wanting to have eternal life?

There is a promise of eternal life if one believe in God etc. but I can't help wonder why eternal life for the soul is worth striving for*? Is there an intrinsic** value of having an eternal life, whatever that might include?

What would you say if I say that I would like to live forever here on earth? That I would do all the necessary things to be able to do that. That it has nothing to do with another person.

I can understand why people would like avoid going to hell (doesn't sound very pleasant) but I don't see why it would be innately*** GOOD to have an eternal life in heaven compared to be buried in the ground and be a part of the nature, part of new life...ashes to ashes, dust to dust, right?

To be really honest, the main sentiment I get when I think of people who strive to have eternal life is that they are quite egoistic! What happened to be good because it is good and spread the possibilities for fellow human beings to have a good life free from as much pain and suffering as possible? Is it all about me, me, me? Is that the reason to follow the (religious) rules and guidelines? If one try to do good deeds with any thoughts like "I do this because God likes it and it will give me eternal life", I can only be greatfull for the effect, not the intention and not the person him/herself.

I am well aware that doing unselfish things makes you feel good, but I don't believe that it is a lasting feeling (compared to get eternal life) and therefore not the goal of feeling good for one's own sake.

Is the striving for eternal life based on fear of dying, fear of the unknown?

* eftersträvansvärt
** inneboende
*** naturligt/medfött

No comments: