Friday, March 09, 2007

Knowing people

Yes, what is that? Knowing people, making friends. It's a subject that I've been thinking quite a lot about for some time now. I have been in situations where I have thought I knew people more than it turned out that I did when it "came down to it". Unfortunately I am not even talking about any big or serious conflicts or situations. Knowing someone includes two things. First it is about what you actually know about a person, from knowing simple facts like if a person has siblings or what they study/work as etc. to what he/she cares about, what values he/she has or what he/she is interested in, if anything. Then you have the "tiny" thing called trust. What can you expect of people? To what extent would they defend you if put in a situation that requires taking stand (shutting up/"avoiding" is of course also a very clear way of taking stand)? What do they share with you? Do they let you know when you are nice or when you have stepped on some one's toes or just messed up in general.

The other day someone said that it is strange how many uninteresting people there are out there (and it has nothing to do with sexuality). I agree but I think that it might have something to do with the unwillingness or incapability for many to show others a little about themselves. It can be hard to see a persons "specialties" when they don't show it to anyone. Who are they, except for that person who like to talk about nothing really when being at a party or at a dinner or what ever with whoever happen to sit/stand beside them? I find it easy to be around VERY different people, I enjoy it, which makes it a bit tricky to make them mix sometimes. So, I mix easy with many different kinds of people but how interesting I find them or how well I think I know them has mostly to do with how much they LET me know or how much they let me in. I have a feeling that some don't want to share because the less they share they less people expect of them.

I have learned that I should be much more careful and much more patient before "trusting" people, or to be more precise, to expect ANYTHING. You can think that you know someone enough after a few months to expect them to treat you nice and normal but be so wrong, so very wrong. But then there are some people you feel you can "trust" a bit more without knowing exactly how the person thinks. You just need to know where they stand in some way, realize and respect that. Then there are some you only speak with every now and then but the little things you speak about give you more back than a lot of than the seemingly endless conversations about "nothing" with others. It doesn't even have to be something specific or very deep, it's enough with a feeling of responsibility for each other and being aware of the other person as he or she is of you. You have just more in common with some people at some levels than with others. Unfortunately I don't feel that I meet or have many people around me that who are like that. I am too odd. In other words, it is veeery rare that anyone find me similar to them. Loosing a person who at least partly understands, accepts and likes you is a huge loss...

Don't let the good ones slip away! There will always be enough things that you will regret anyway.

Ps. I apologize if the text is confusing or something. It's very late and I am as tired as yesterday is and therefore my brain is functioning accordingly.

No comments: