Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Have some faith!

Not long ago it was the end of school for many young people. On my way home from work, the yelling, whistling, singing now ex students passed me by in different kinds of vehicles. On one of them it said this: "Unemployed tomorrow, thanks for that!"

Sure, it is not always easy to get a job as a young person etc., but come ooon, how pessimistic are they on the day they have longed and worked for for so long? Can't they wait at least one day before worrying about what tomorrow brings? And an even more personal reflection... Why see themselves as unemployed instead of "in between schools"? The 1st September university starts, is that such an awful alternative to work or being unemployed. After all, I don't think that further education can be seen as something negative. Not today. Not in Sweden. I personally feel
that my single education isn't enough when trying to get the jobs I want, I "should" have at least TWO educations...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true what you say, it's not easy at all getting a job when newly graduated. Most yougsters want a job right away, they are utterly tired of school and don't even want to think about university. With no higher level of education, most of these youngsters are "unemployed the day after graduating"...that is probably another truth. You are one of the youngsters that carried on and got yourself a higher education...be proud of that. I didn't make it to such a high level as you did, but I got myself a decent job at least and consider my job situation pretty bright today as well. I second your statement...a higher level of education is never a negative thing. Hmm, how I miss those good old days...wearing that white hat and everything seemed so good...graduation. Some of us have pretty good memories of those days including myself.For some ppl, experiencing that again is just a dream...and maybe a dream come true ;)

"För vi har tagit studenten, fyyy faaan va vi e bra" (sorry about the swedish part here)

Anonymous said...

In a cryptical way, very cryptic, I have experienced graduation twice...hmm.

Natasja said...

I know that there are many who after graduating have no idea what they want to do and/or are tired of school. I just wonder if the other option, being unemployed, is better and more fun? One should never forget the other sides of higher education than "only" education in itself. There are so many things to enjoy depending on the personal preferences. New friends (in and outside school), parties, student related hobbies like working at a nation/bar/disco, theater, "spex" and all the other hobbies that one can havethat aren't as clearly connected to the student life....all included in the student life and the "university stuff". At least they would have something to do and they could get money for it until they figure out what they want to do and actually get a job (that goes mostly to those who are tired of school). I feel sorry for those who miss out on that. The boring life with a job or in worst case scenario, unemployment, will be a big part of life soon enough and will most probably last until you get fed up by it.