Monday, August 06, 2007

Decide what the truth is?

I saw "Jesus Camp" for the second time just the other week. In some cases it is simply the main point that is interesting but sometimes even the smallest words can carry great meaning. The preacher for the Evangelic mega church said to the listeners during a sermon that "We have decided that the Bible is the word of God"!

He didn't say "we believe..." just that they had DECIDED it. So if I say that "I have DECIDED that everything I have ever written here on INCH is the truth", would you believe me? I sure hope not! Instead I wonder if you would have "agreed" more if I had said that "I [Natasja] believe that everything I have ever written here on INCH is the truth?" I am pretty sure you would have though that I am a very presumptuous* person if I had used the word "decided".

If I was God, I would much rather that my followers BELIEVED in Bible as my word than just verbally "forced" upon them.

But that's just me...
I raise the question because I can't help wondering who are "we"? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a few people that came to that decision? Then, who are they? What are their goals in life? Is it to be a good Christian? Is it to gain political power or help people you like to gain power? Is there any money/special privileges involved?

* förmäten

No comments: