Sunday, January 20, 2008

People

Sometimes people are or do things that just might make you smile, remind you of things or just make some kind of impression. The other day there was a bus driver that I've met only once before but he made me smile this time too. He's just so friendly towards everybody and in such a good mood, saying good bye to people that is going off the bus and making small comments on this and that. The first time I met him, we spent the few minutes the ride takes talking about how the people in this small city votes (it was all over the news after the last election because of the racist tendencies shown in the results). How often do you go out of a bus, smiling just thanks to the driver?

A friend of mine was born with problems with some parts of her skin (her arm and shoulder) which makes it dark red and somewhat sensitive to cold. When she had drown older she was offered to have a treatment which would have taken it away but she denied it, saying that her skin was a part of her and she didn't want to change it. No one would have accused her of doing it because of simple vanity but she still chose to not go through with it.

Recently I had to spend several hours at work with a colleague, maybe the one I get along with the best. He did something I really appreciate when people do, he opened up to me and told me several quite personal things about his life and what he has experienced. He is from El Salvador and came to Sweden when he was about 25 years old (40 now) because this was the country that would take him the quickest. He, as well as some in his family, had to leave El Salvador due to the risk of being tortured or even killed because they were critical of the regime. He also told me about other difficult things in life, even when he was a child. Not only do I appreciate his honesty but also to hear these stories about things I otherwise only read about, to be reminded of things that happen every day, that they are truly real, how sad and troublesome it is but also that there are people who don't give up and try to do the right thing.


No comments: