Sunday, January 27, 2008

Egoism and empathy

It is simply bs that "man is just an egoistic creature". It is just part of the truth, but it sure isn't the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Every now and then you meet people who think that man is a egoistic and there is "nothing to do about it", that it is "mans nature". If that had been the truth, there wouldn't be soo many people doing soo much for others which there is no personal gain for doing. There are way too many to be able to ignore it. So when people do, I interpret it as they just try to protect themselves from themselves. Who wants to really feel egoistic? Last but not least, doing things for others and show empathy are in many cases a good way of getting things back, in one way or another. I believe that helping others is one of the best ways of helping yourself. You get what you give.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A basic Christian "rule" I'm sure.

Natasja said...

What on eart are you talking about? I am sure that you are NOT talking about the "Golden Rule" because it is absolutely NOT a basic CHRISTIAN rule. If believing so, one is seriously lacking religious knowledge. THAT is basic. So, what are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

I am not christian myself. I just happen to interpret the christian message as "treat other ppl like you'd like to be treated yourself"? That is in a way what you're saying, isn't it? You get what you give?

Natasja said...

I am all for "you get what you give" but The Golden Rule exists in all the great world religions! That it would be a Christian thing is simply not true, it is much larger than that although some/many try to make certain values seem like they are theirs and theirs only. To me personally, that only undermines the credibility of those who claim it and try to get their political view accepted. Also I see it as trying (deliberately or not) to create FEAR of others, "Christianity is good, other religions are bad and cause harm".

Anonymous said...

Dear oh dear, you tend to misinterpret my words here. I'm not saying it's entirely Christian nor to create fear in any way. I'm 100% atheist, it doesn't matter to me to be honest wether it's christian or budhism or whatever. Just mentioned christian as I assume it's a state religion in Sweden? But you're right, "the golden rule" exists in every religion. And NO, "what you give is what you get" is NOT something that is entirely one religion's invention or credit, it's a way of expressing humanity and the way human beings should act. Sorry for causing this bloodrush. Didn't mean anything harmful or to preach a christian message at all. Just tried to say that I've met this saying in christianity (not a believer myself) and that's why I quoted it. Sorry.