Thursday, May 12, 2011

Morality and altruism only a religious attribute?

Today Dalai Lama posted the following on his Facebook:

"Some people automatically associate morality and altruism with a religious vision of the world. But I believe it is a mistake to think that morality is an attribute only of religion. We can imagine two types of spirituality: one tied to religion, while the other arises spontaneously in the human heart as an expression of love for our neighbors and a desire to do them good."


I really like that he says that because it is something that somethimes bothers me. Why would it be more good/better to try to do good when it has it's base in religion? I get the sence at times that some think believe that. I believe that morality and altrusim has it's base in every individual, regardless of religiosity or not. For some maybe the religiosity is what needs to pull it out, some naturally combine it and for others, like myself and many others, it's just there. Obviously it's not a collary of religion.

Personally I think that religion is man made, but even it wasn't, it's still man who has written down the different texts, man who interpret them then and today and always will. We're all part of society and as long as we are, we're gonna influence each other.

No comments: