Monday, April 20, 2009

Multiculturalism - good or bad?

I had a discussion with a friend about whether multiculturalism is good or not. He meant that there isn't a well needed discussion about it and that it is not clear that it is a positive thing. It's not the first time I've heard that kind of opinion. Frankly I don't see how multiculturalism ever could be a negative thing. I can't help think that only people who has lived in a tiny world of mostly people who are just like them and never really been in a international situation. I am not saying that it always is easy and without problems but how could ever be a reason to avoid multiculturalism? The best thing in my life is all the interesting, different and wonderful people from all over the world who has entered my life since I was born. It is also in that international context that I've learned most about myself and the world around me. Life is easy when nobody talks back to you or question your way of living and thinking. By the way, I am the only person talking back at this guy, at least within our common group of friends. The rest always sits quiet and listen when he talks.

On Thuesday afternoon I am "guaranteed" a nice time with some multiculturalistic touch. I am going to have a coffee with my very nice new friend who is Muslim and Lebanese and who came to Sweden at the age of 16. In conversation with him I learn new things that no one else of my friends could teach me because his experiences and his background is unique, just like everybody else's.

1 comment:

Blog de um Brasileiro said...

This post is in portuguese:

O multiculturalismo será uma tendência mundial, afinal não conseguiremos viver em "bolhas" para sempre.
Abraços