Thursday, April 24, 2008

As if I didn't exist

Odd, very odd. Every morning a colleague and I have had the same routine, saying hi in the bus, walking to the front door, chatting a little and a few minutes later see each other again in the dressing room and continue the chatting there.

The other day she didn't see (?) me on the bus. Getting of the bus she started walking very fast, not turning my way once. Entering the front door without the usual "see you in a bit" and in the locker room she sat with her back towards me the entire time she got her things in order to start working (about 1,5 meters away from me) and quickly leaving the room, still not having said one word or acknowledged my existence in any other way. I thought for myself that maybe she has been crying and didn't want to show me her red eyes so I didn't say anything.

At lunch she sat talking and laughing with another colleague. Later in the locker room I asked her with a cheerful voice "So you have stopped ignoring me now?" and she replied "yepp" and nothing more. The following day the same thing happened again but when I came down to the locker room I asked her "Have I done anything to you? Are you mad at me since you ignore me?". She, almost a little irritated, answered that she just had some personal issues to think of and didn't feel like having any company. I told her that that is ok but that she shouldn't ignore me since it was perceived as a bit rude, making me think that I had done something to her.

If someone wants to make me confused, insecure and/or furious, the best way is to ignore me. I find that extremely RUDE. In this care I just wondered what had happened, feeling confused since I am not very close to my colleague and therefor don't care that much. When it comes to people that I do know better, family or friends, I take it very personally and get very angry if someone ignore me. It has happened to me from time to time. Some people seem to think that their problem will go away by not pretending it is there. One person said straight to my face that he doesn't bother to answer when he doesn't think that the person (in this case me) has nothing of interest to him to say (sometimes not even knowing what it might be about). Another just was quiet and didn't respond to my attempt to contact, finally realizing that we had to talk. To me, ignoring people is a way of sending the signal that "you are not even worth my time, please go away" and/or "I don't want you to know what the situation is actually about".

No comments: